I came up with this recipe last weekend when we had a “snow day” it was mostly icy rain and barely enough snow to cover the ground but we live in the South so it was a big deal and not a day you want to drive around for groceries or out to eat, so the night before we bought all the ingredients for this super easy, but very delicious crockpot beef stew. I couldn’t find a recipe that I wanted so I threw together a bunch of stuff and it turned out absolutely perfect!!! It was literally the best beef stew that I’ve ever tried. It’s interesting how the spontaneous recipes usually turn out to be the best ones.
Crockpot Beef Stew
- 2-2.5 LB Beef Stew Meat or Chuck Roast cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 TBS Olive Oil to fry beef
- 2 tsp Steak Seasoning to fry beef
- 5-6 Gold Potatoes cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4-5 Carrots chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Large Onion chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 LB Mushrooms cut in halves or quarters
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Cups Dry Red Wine
- 8 Cups Beef Broth I make my own Better then boullion beef broth
- 1 15oz. Can Tomato Sauce or 2 TBS Tomato paste
- 2 tsp Mrs.Dash or any salt-free seasoning on choice
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 3 tsp Salt or to taste
- 2 TBS Dry or Fresh Parsley
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Do the prep work first. Wash and cut the meat into cubes. Wash and cut the potatoes into cubes (I leave the skin on if it’s gold potatoes). Wash and chop up the bell pepper, carrots, mushrooms also. If you are making your own beef broth like I do, then make beef broth and set it aside.
- This step is optional. I have made it with raw meat in the crockpot too and still got the same tender, flavorful beef taste. However I do prefer to precook the beef first because I like my beef seared and browned on the outside. To precook your meat: Set a frying pan with 2 TBS olive oil on Med-High heat and cook the beef thoroughly, adding salt or steak seasoning to taste. Stir it every few minutes, and sear the beef until it gets browned.
- Put the raw or precooked meat and all the chopped veggies (potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onion) into the crock pot. Add the wine, tomato sauce (or paste) and beef broth. Sprinkle in some salt to taste, I add 3 tsp Salt. Add in the Mrs.Dash (or other salt free seasoning), paprika, Italian seasoning, dry or fresh parsley and bay leaves. Add in the minced garlic cloves.
- Stir everything gently, and turn the crockpot on HIGH for 7-8 hours. Yes, it does take 7-8 hours cook time to get juicy, tender, flavorful meat and tender vegetables. Gently stir halfway through if possible.
- At the end, stir the stew, ladle into bowls and enjoy! This stew tastes great on the second and even third day. Just reheat the portion needed in a pot.