Think yummy, hearty lasagna but in a comforting bowl of hot soup! Restaurant taste quality but so easy and quick to make. I got this recipe from my friend Liz and I’m so excited to share it with you all!
Think yummy, hearty lasagna but in a comforting bowl of hot soup! Restaurant taste quality but so easy and quick to make.
- 1 LB Mild Italian Sausage Ground Meat
- 2 TBS Olive Oil for sautéing
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes according to your spice preference
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2.5 TBS Tomato Paste
- 1 Can Roasted Tomatoes
- 8.5 Cups Chicken Stock or Broth I make my own "Better than Bouillon" Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 8 Oz. Rotini Pasta
- 1/4 Tsp Basil
- 1 16 Oz. Block Mozzarella Cheese shredded, to top the soup
- 1 16 Oz. Block Parmesan Cheese shredded, to top the soup
- Sour Cream optional, to top the soup
- If making your own chicken bouillon; fill a medium pot with 8.5 cups filtered water and bring it to a boil. When it comes to a boil, turn burner off and add 8.5 tsp of "Better Than Bouillon Chicken" paste. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 TBS olive oil. Add the ground mild Italian sausage meat and cook, mixing, for about 5 minutes. Then add the finely chopped onion and cook another 3-5 minutes until onion is soft and sausage meat is cooked through and browned.
- Add 4 minced garlic cloves to the pan. Then add 1 tsp salt, sprinkle some pepper, and about 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you prefer, I do 1/4 tsp). Add 2.5 TBS Tomato Paste. Mix thoroughly. Add the can of roasted tomatoes. Turn burner off and let it simmer for a few minutes, then mix.
- Transfer everything from the frying pan to the pot of chicken bouillon (or chicken stock) and bring to a boil. Add 2 bay leaves. Turn down to low and let it simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes turn up to medium and add 1/4 tsp basil. Add the pasta to the soup and let it cook until pasta is soft and cooked through (about 10-15 minutes). Be careful not to overcook the pasta.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each bowl of soup with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, according to your preferences. Add sour cream (optional).
This soup reheats easily! Just simmer desired amount in a small pot, on low heat, for 5-10 minutes.