This Thai coconut shrimp soup has quickly become a new favorite soup in our family! You will be surprised at how super fast and easy it is to make, yet the taste is the quality of a Thai restaurant. You can add chicken instead of shrimp or no protein at all. You can have it with the rice or even with rice noodles, we’ve tried both and both ways are delicious!
Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup
- 1 LB Shrimp peeled, deveined
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 1/2 TBS Fresh Ginger grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 TBS Red Red Curry Paste
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 13.5 oz. Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 TBS Butter
- 1 Lime juiced
- 3-4 TBS Cilantro optional, finely chopped
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan or rice cooker, cook rice according to package instructions and set aside when done cooking. Meanwhile continue with next steps.
- In a large pan, on medium heat, melt 2 TBS butter and add 1 LB shrimp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and cook until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a Medium pot, on medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add in the diced onion, diced red bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook another minute until fragrant.
- Whisk in the red curry paste and mix well. Then whisk in coconut milk and vegetable stock until well combined. Bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook on low for 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened, then add the lime juice. Mix well.
- To serve, put rice (or rice noodles) in a bowl, add shrimp, soup broth, and sprinkle with cilantro leaves (optional).