This tomato basil soup is creamy and dreamy! One of our new favorite family recipes. We had this soup all the time at Dean & Deluca restaurant and it closed so I really wanted to recreate the same tasting soup at home. Of course, I did just that! This recipe requires minimal ingredients and is fast to make. The creamy tomato basil flavor will give you a taste of summer all year round!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 4-5 Tomatoes (Peeled & De-seeded) peeled & de-seeded
- 1.5-2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 Cups Tomato Juice
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Basil Leaves Spice
- 1 TBS Dried Basil Leaves and more to garnish soup
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Oyster Crackers optional, to top
- Peel the tomatoes using a peeler. Cut them into quarters and de-seed them. Put tomatoes into a medium pot, add in the 4 cups tomato juice. Bring to a boil, then cover with lid and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Puree the cooked tomato and tomato juice mixture with an immersion blender or in a blender, until it turns into a puree/smoothie consistency.
- Turn the heat up to low-medium and add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. Add the 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp basil leaves spice and 1 TBS dried basil leaves. Then add 2 TBS butter. Sprinkle salt/pepper according to your preference, you don't need much salt because the tomato juice already has salt in it. Mix, everything together and let it simmer for about 5 minutes, but don't let it come to a boil.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle each bowl of soup with a little bit of dried basil leaves and some oyster crackers for garnish.