Finally, the perfect recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup that tastes just like Panera Bread! This recipe has been in the making for a few years now because I could never get it to taste just right, just like Panera. There were times that I literally made a whole pot of soup and would end up throwing out the entire pot in trial and error. This is definitely our family favorite Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe and I’m super excited to share it with you all!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Panera Bread Copycat)
- 6 TBS Butter divided, 1.5 TBS and 4.5 TBS
- 1 Small Onion
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Half & Half
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- .75 LB Fresh Broccoli about 1.5 cups, chopped into small pieces
- 1 Carrot shredded
- 10 oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded, I shred my own
- Finely dice the onion. Set a pan on medium-high heat and add 1.5 TBS butter. When the butter melts, add the diced onion to the pan and sauté, stirring and cooking until the onion is soft and translucent, but not burned. Set this pan with onion aside.
- Set a medium sized pot on medium heat with 4.5 TBS butter. Once the butter melts, add in the 1/4 cup flour, one spoon at a time, mixing immediately as you incorporate the flour so it doesn't burn but turns into a thick, pasty texture for about 4 minutes.
- Immediately add the chicken broth to the pot and stir constantly to mix well with the flour/butter mixture. Stir well so you won't have any flour lumps. Then add the half and half. Let it simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Meanwhile wash and cut the broccoli into 1/2-1/4 inch pieces, and shorten the broccoli stems. Wash and finely shred the carrot.
- Add the chopped broccoli, shredded carrot, and sauteed onion into the pot. Let it simmer on medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes, until the broccoli and carrots are soft.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste. Then add half the shredded cheese into the pot. Mix well to incorporate the cheese and let it melt, this only takes a few seconds.
- Add the rest of the shredded cheese into the pot and let it melt. Turn heat off. Mix well to incorporate everything. Serve hot!