This is the most delicious skillet pasta that I have ever tried. I got the recipe for it from one of my cook books “The Best Simple Recipes” from America’s Test Kitchen and adapted it to our liking. I can not believe that this recipe only takes about 30 minutes total to make and all in one pan! It tastes like something served at a gourmet Italian or Pasta restaurant. I make it for dinner often as my husband and boys request it all the time, It has become a family favorite for sure!
3O Minute Skillet Pasta
- 1 TBS Olive Oil for frying
- 14 oz. Butterball Turkey Smoked Sausage cut into small pieces
- 1 10 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, Mild
- 1 Onion finely chopped, optional
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 LB Penne Pasta or any pasta of choice
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 16 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 2-3 Scallions optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Cut the smoked sausage into even pieces. Finely dice the onion.
- Heat 1 TBS olive oil on medium heat on a large skillet. Optionally add finely diced onion.
- Cook until onion is translucent and sausage is slightly browned. Then add 2 garlic cloves through the garlic press, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, 1 cup heavy cream, 1 LB pasta, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and stir.
- Bring it to a boil, cover the skillet with a lid, then lower the heat to medium-low. Meanwhile shred the Monterey Jack cheese and wash/finely chop the scallions.
- Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15-20 minutes, mixing a few times. Then add 16 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese and 2-3 chopped scallions into the skillet.
- Turn off the stove. Mix well and enjoy! Or if you prefer to follow the cook book recipe; Transfer the pasta into an oven safe pan and put it in the oven on Broil until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and spotty brown. I have tried it both ways and both ways it turned out great, however we prefer a creamy texture of cheese so I skip this step.