The official Carrabba’s Italian Restaurant Marinara Sauce from the Carrabba’s cookbook. Great for a pasta sauce or to use as a dip for appetizers like mozzarella sticks or fried calamari.
Carrabba’s Restaurant Marinara Sauce
The official Carrabba's Italian Restaurant Marinara Sauce from the Carrabba's cookbook. Great for a pasta sauce or to use as a dip for appetizers like mozzarella sticks or fried calamari.
- 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion finely chopped
- 2 Scallions both white/green part, finely chopped
- 2 Anchovy Fillets in oil optional, drained and finely chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/4 Cup Hearty Red Wine such as Citra Montepulciano
- 1 28 oz. Can Whole Tomatoes in juice
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Hot, Crushed, Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the scallions, anchovies (if using), garlic and cook. Stirring occasionally until garlic is fragrant for about 1 minute.
- Add the wine. Pour the tomatoes and their juices into a bowl. Crush the tomatoes between your fingers, and pour the mixture into the saucepan. Add the oregano, hot pepper flakes, ground pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring often, until the tomato juices have thickened and the sauce has reduced slightly, about 30 minutes.
This Marinara Sauce can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Or freeze for up to 2 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.